There are many well-intentioned parents struggling to keep their children on track in school and at home. There are several resources out there for parents to utilize toward ensuring their children's success as well. The challenge is getting these resources into the hands of the parents who need them. Back in 2010, I created this list of parenting affirmations (below) to serve as a constant mirror for parents. Through this list, I and recommending and challenging parents to review it daily and to ask themselves if they are actively engaged in what the affirmations are stating or if adjustments need to be made. I am challenging parents to make the 50 "I's" a significant part of their parenting repertoire.
Essentials for Success
1. I am a parent to my children.
2. I am my children’s first teacher.
3. I provide for my children.
4. I spend quality time with my children.
5. I discipline my children appropriately.
Encouragement for Success
6. I encourage my children to believe in themselves.
7. I encourage my children to discover their life’s purpose.
8. I encourage my children to act upon their historical obligation to achieve.
9. I encourage my children to be determined to achieve success.
10. I encourage my children to develop a vision for their future.
Empowerment for Success
11. I teach my children to be goal-oriented.
12. I teach my children positive values.
13. I teach my children coping and survival skills.
14. I conduct myself as a role model for my children.
15. I remind my children that they represent me at all times.
Character for Success
16. I talk to my children about respecting themselves.
17. I talk to my children about peer pressure and peer relationships.
18. I talk to my children about respecting their teachers and other adults.
19. I talk to my children about expected and acceptable conduct both in and out of school.
20. I talk to my sons about respecting, valuing, appreciating and getting along with other young men.
Literacy for Succes
21. I require my children to read books daily.
22. I require my children to read the newspaper daily.
23. I require my children to read weekly news-oriented magazines regularly.
24. I read to my younger children daily.
25. I require my children to write daily.
Historical Competence for Success
26. I require my children to read books that expose them to their history.
27. I talk to my children about race and being proud of who and what they are.
28. I talk to my children about social justice issues.
29. I take my children to culturally responsive educational programs and activities.
30. I educate myself in order to educate my children about their history.
Nurturing for Success
31. I inform and demonstrate to my children that I love them.
32. I am positive in my interactions with my children
33. I don’t ridicule and demean my children.
34. I expose my children to a wide variety of educational activities.
35. I assist my children with their homework.
Accountability for Success
36. I have high expectations for my children despite whatever setbacks I may have experienced.
37. I do not accept mediocrity from my children.
38. I hold my children accountable for striving to achieve excellence.
39. I hold my children accountable for striving to maximize their potential.
40. I hold my children accountable for studying - even when they do not have homework.
Monitoring for Success
41. I supervise my children's computer usage.
42. I monitor my children's media exposure.
43. I scrutinize my children’s friendships.
44. I attend parent meetings at my children's school.
45. I visit my children's teachers.
Choices for Success
46. I talk to my children about making wise decisions.
47. I talk to my children about sex.
48. I talk to my children about drugs.
49. I talk to my children about alcohol.
50. I talk to my children about gangs.
Thanks for sharing with us very beautiful and great stuff posted here.ReplyDelete